Monday, June 11, 2007

Susan Holtzapple


Hi there! Well -- lesson learned. Things work VERY differently on a PC versus my MAC. This is easy!
I am finishing my seventh year of teaching math at Cupertino Middle. In that time, I have taught all of the different math levels in both seventh and eighth grade. I am currently the department chair as well as the coach of the math competition team. We had an awesome year!
Last week, my younger daughter, Alison, graduated from Homestead High School, hence the up-to-date picture of my family. Ali will be attending the University of Washington in the fall. My older daughter, Steffi, is finishing her sophomore year at UCLA and made a quick visit home for the special occasion. I am looking forward to having an empty nest with both joy and trepidation. Tom is an anesthesiologist at Kaiser, Santa Clara, and is in San Antonio this week for a medical conference (really).
A little about me . . . in my former life, I graduated from medical school and completed one year of residency in family practice before starting a family. I always intended to return to medicine, but it just never happened. After twelve years of volunteer work in the preschool, elementary school classroom, PTA, lice checks on 500 kids, and so on . . . Steffi started middle school at CMS and I needed to think about the rest of my life. I needed to start over again, and figured teaching would be easier than medicine -- HA! I really am having a good time!
This summer, I am looking forward to spending the month of July at a math camp in Colorado as a volunteer math coach (google me). Should be interesting.

5 comments:

jewels said...

You have always kept yourself very busy. This summer doesn't look to be very different. Congratulations on the empty nest. I'm sure that your daughters will return often.

Disneys_Belle said...

I had no idea that you went to Med school....I learn something new every day!

Donna said...

You are right about the empty nest, it is both sad and exciting. When my youngest left for college, my husband left for a job in Italy so I truly had an empty nest.

Steve said...

Congratulations on Alison's graduation! I'm so glad you signed up for the institute. I look forward to catching up with you...

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to catching up with you this week! See you soon.